Down Payment Assistance Program
CalHFA Conventional Loan Program is a CalHFA conventionally insured first mortgage loan featuring a fully amortizing fixed interest rate with a maximum 30-year term.
This program requires a minimum 3% down payment
No Income Limit for Family Size
The California first time homebuyer assistance agency (CalHFA) will no longer base qualifying income limit on family size.
CalHFA Buyer Assistance Loans
CalHFA offers Conventional and FHA first mortgages. When you qualify for a CalHFA first mortgage, you are automatically eligible the down payment and closing cost assistance that accompanies it.
The exceptions are the Extra Credit Teacher Program (ECTP) and the Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC), which have additional qualifying criteria.
CalHFA Conventional First Mortgage
- CalHFA Conventional Loan Program – 30 year fixed rate first mortgage loan insured with discounted private mortgage insurance using Fannie Mae underwriting guidelines.
- CalPLUS Conventional Loan Program – CalHFA Conventional first mortgage with a slighter higher interest rate than the standard conventional loan. This option is combined with the CalHFA Zero Interest Program (ZIP), which can be used to pay closing costs only.
CalHFA FHA First Mortgage
- CalHFA FHA Loan Program – 30 year fixed rate FHA insured first mortgage loan.
- CalPLUS FHA Loan Program – CalHFA FHA first mortgage with a slighter higher interest rate than the standard conventional loan. This option is combined with the CalHFA Zero Interest Program (ZIP), which can be used to pay closing costs only.
- Cal-EEM + Grant – Energy Efficient Mortgage program. 4% Grant can be used for energy efficient upgrades and may exceed FHA loan limits.
CalHFA Down Payment Assistance Programs
- MyHome Assistance Program – Deferred payment, silent second loan up to the lesser of three and a half percent (3.5%) of the purchase price or appraised value. MyHome Assistance can be used for down payment or closing cost assistance, and can be used with any CalHFA first mortgage program, including CalPLUS with ZIP. Must be first time home buyer.
- (ECTP) Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase Program – Available to teachers, administrators, school district employees and staff members working for any California K-12 public school, which includes Charter schools and county/continuation schools. Offers between $7,500 to $15,000 in down payment assistance for first time home buyers.